Picnic ideas: Rainbow Slaw
A crunchy, zingy slaw that should tempt even the fussiest child to eat her veg
A nod to getting those cheeky little ragamuffins to eat some vegetables. This tempting rainbow slaw combines delicious fresh ingredients with bags of colour and crunchy texture. The creamy yoghurt dressing, combined with zesty fruit juices, adds a mild sweetness to the colourful dish.
- 2–3 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed
- lemon juice
- A handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 5 beetroots, peeled and julienned or grated
- 1 apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tsp poppy seeds, to garnish
In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek-style yoghurt with the juice and zest of the orange, the lemon juice and the dill. Add the grated carrot and beetroot, sliced apple and fennel and mix together well. Season the slaw with salt and pepper and, finally, sprinkle over the poppy seeds to garnish.
More perfect picnic ideas... Cheese Straws, Banoffee Plant Pots, Good Old Sausage Rolls
Discuss this story
See more comments...